Saturday, August 10, 2013

Riding Day #61: Now Entering Santa Cruz!

San Jose, CA to Santa Cruz, CA (60 miles)

Our last early morning wake up was bittersweet. Brendan, the Program Director of Bike & Build, was with us to drive the van on the last ride day (so all four leaders could ride) and to celebrate another successful cross-country route completed. At our final route meeting, Rae performed an adorable Bike & Build edition of Jack White’s “I Can Tell that We are Gonna be Friends.”

There were just sixty miles separating the team from the Pacific Ocean. Not so fast. I got a flat two miles into the ride. There was actually a lot of climbing, making us slug even when we wanted to shred. Since it was Saturday, there seemed to be many more cyclists on the roads. A team of much older cyclists passed me. On the 61st riding day of the trip, with 4,200 miles under my belt, I’m still getting shredded. Part of me was thinking I am in the best shape of my life and I’ve never been stronger than today. The other part of me was thinking I have never been this overtrained, this sleep-deprived, and my muscles haven’t been able to recover in months. Either way, the Pacific was near, adrenaline was pumping, and I had no reason to conserve any spare energy - a huge change in mindset from the thirteen days stretch of riding we had just finished earlier this week. The passing team was nice and gave me encouragement, “Congratulations on your last day!” and, “Just 0.2 miles to the top!” What affected my speed and stress level most was my pesky back tire, because I had yet another flat.

The team waited for everyone to reach lunch, which was at the summit. Also waiting at the summit was the sign marking our entrance into Santa Cruz county. I took the time to inspect my back tire with tweezers, and uncovered a staple and a thorn. Hopefully, I’ll be free from flats for the rest of the trip - we’re so close! We knew up next was a sweet descent through the Redwood forest, and about half of us decided to take a slightly different route in order to see “the heart” of the Redwood forest. As I’d never seen such humongous trees before, it didn’t make much difference to me whether we saw “the heart” or not. 

While the descent was indeed sweet, it was interrupted by sudden quick hills, hairpin turns, a road that was just one narrow lane at some points, and California drivers being their aggressive selves. I realized through this part of the ride that the grass always seems greener on the other side. As much as I try to absorb and appreciate my surroundings, I’ve struggled this summer with also dreaming about the next environment to be immersed in. In the windy flat lands of Oklahoma I couldn’t wait for the deserts, and in the deserts of Oregon I craved the shade of the Redwoods in California, and in that forest I just wanted to be at the beach already. Maybe that curiosity is what keeps many travelers going. Many riders were rather quiet on today’s ride, as I’m sure reflections such as this one took place in the minds of 27 other riders nearing their goal.

Through tiny mountain villages, we began to see mileage signs for Santa Cruz, and eventually these signs were showing single digits. 4,256 miles down and just nine miles to go - nothing can stop us now. There was one more hill, less than a mile in distance but so, so steep. I didn’t take breaks, walk my bike, or stand up on my bike, and since I had eaten no snacks and just a protein bar for lunch I was basically running only on adrenaline. Everyone agreed that it was a really tough hill. A few riders waited at the top for Emma, Mel, and I to make it. About seven of us descended into Santa Cruz. We were so excited and screamed when we saw the “Entering Santa Cruz” sign, that we forgot to stop for a picture. I could finally say that it truly was all downhill from there.

We waited for sweep to reach Little Caesar’s, the team agreed upon meeting spot. From there, the 28 of us rode in 14 pairs for the last mile of our 4,265 mile journey. We screamed and cheered at the sight of the Pacific Ocean and the beach. It was surreal, and as Kat always says, “I can’t believe we got here on our bikes.”


Friends and family were waiting at the beach with signs. But first, we dropped our bikes, shoes, socks, CamelBaks, helmets, phones, and jerseys, and raced to the water. I’m not a runner, and the run from our bikes to the water was a very difficult 400 meter sprint through sand. I wanted to stop but couldn’t, as I neared the ocean and my teammates hugging and laughing and shouting in pure joy. This was my first time in the Pacific Ocean. I dove in and in one wave had submitted my gas station sunglasses to the Pacific. I hugged every teammate repeating the words “We did it,” over and over. Those family and friends that had been on the sidewalk were now at the shoreline taking pictures of our overwhelming happiness. We had all made it, all 28 of us biked the United States, without anyone getting seriously injured or dropping out. I am so proud of myself and my team for our achievement.


In the Atlantic Ocean in Charleston, South Carolina, Ethan made a surprise performance of that famous scene in Braveheart. Now at the Pacific Ocean, Ethan gathered the team’s attention once more. When the team fell silent, he began to sing, “I don’t wanna close my eyes / I don’t wanna fall asleep / Cause I’ll miss you baby / And I don’t wanna miss a thing.” A spontaneous group hug commenced as the team sang the rest of the song. Someone popped sparkling apple cider, and the only way I could rinse it out was with the salt water. Ouch!


We then grabbed our bikes for the ceremonial wheel dip. Our back tires touched the Atlantic at the beginning of the trip. Many miles, friendships, and memories later, we dipped our front wheels into the Pacific. Along this trip, my bike has seen some wear and tear, but we’ll see what salt water and sand do to Calliope.


Caleb welcomed a few of us to his motel room to shower. There was a chilly bonfire and barbecue on the beach, but I wasn’t there long before beach patrol said our time was up. I was so hungry because the only I’d eaten on the road was that one protein bar, and that was before noon, and the time was now 10pm. As much as I wanted to spend one as much time as possible celebrating the last few nights with my team, I was understandably exhausted and wanted to sleep without an alarm set for the next morning.

No comments: