Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Snowville, Utah to Burley, Idaho

I woke up at 4:20am, which was ten minutes before wake up. Just before dawn is the coldest point of the night, and it was also the coldest I’ve been all summer. I’d heard that deserts don’t trap heat, but I had never experienced a 95 degree day that was followed by a 35 degree night.

I stumbled over to Kevin’s bike and grabbed his safety triangle and helmet. His 24 hour ultimatum to propose was almost up, so I hung his triangle and helmet on the park’s flagpole. Lacy and Rae were supposed to get Dan and Josh’s stuff too, but they didn’t wake up in time.

After the route meeting, as we all were huddled in the pavillion’s kitchen for warmth, Josh announces, “Will the three unclaimed ladies please follow me.” Lacy, Rae, and I are directed to a picnic table. Josh continues, “We were given an ultimatum to make our prom proposals, and with 30 minutes to spare, here it is.” Josh, Dan, and Kevin start dancing to rock music, and then take off their shirts one by one. Written on their backs are our names. Then they each got down on one knee and asked us to prom – Kevin asked me and I gave him a hug.

With one day left before prom, I had to find an outfit. Kevin and I were going to be Aladdin and Jasmine. Luckily, Cassie picked out really cool pair of turquoise  pants at a thrift store, and I found a matching children’s shirt that only fit me after I ripped the sleeves. I even found a small jar of bells and strung them on a string to wear around my waist.

But the ride from Snowville to Burley, ID was spent in the van for me. For a few days now I’ve been experiencing a soreness in my right wrist, probably from putting too much strain and pressure on my hands during all this riding. But it’s not riding that’s hurting, it’s when I apply pressure to my wrist when it’s bent – lifting my bin, twisting door knobs, pushing myself up from sleeping. It’s frustrating, but I don’t want it to get worse. So I’ve been staying off my bike for two ride days and one build day, giving my wrist three days of rest.

When you want to bike across America, vanning yourself is a tough decision. I was a little bummed about not biking to the Idaho state line, but I kept a good attitude. Every time we drove past a rider I stuck my head out the window and shouted words of encouragement while pumping my fist. The ride to Burley was 75 miles, and 54 miles were on the interstate highway in the desert at 99 degrees.

Because of the 90/90 Rule (if a day is 90+ miles or 90+ degrees) the van had two lunch stops. This can be logistically tricky. The riders at the front found a good place for the van and trailer to pull over for a lunch stop around mile 23. Then the people in the van wait for a few hours for every rider to stop by, and after sweep (the assigned last riders) leaves, the van then heads over to a second lunch stop. Along the way, usually at a gas station, the water and Gatorade coolers are refilled. Sometimes the riders get so stretched out along the ride that the front of the pack beats the van to second lunch. There are days  when the front of the pack decides to skip second lunch, and the biggest risk here is running out of water.

Once the van got to Burley, I went to a bike shop to get tubes for myself and one to return to Marcus from the day before. I went to a diner for food, and ate in the bleachers of the County Fairgrounds. There were auditions happening for a  junior rodeo, so I watched young cowboys chase cattle around the fairgrounds on horseback. There were low flying planes overhead as the sun was setting over potato and wheat fields. Idaho is just what I expected.

No comments: