Friday, July 26, 2013

Minimalism

Mountain Home to Caldwell, ID

Many cyclists are lured by the simplicity of a bicycle. It’s the machine of minimalists. Shedding a vehicle of all but it’s essential parts leaves one with a frame, two wheels, and relies on human power. The cyclist and the minimalist ask, “How much can we do without?”


Bike & Build is a lesson on minimalism. I’ve learned how to make a sandwich without a table, plate, or knives. I’ve stopped using chamois butter and that inflatable therma-rest I never once inflated. I sleep like a rock and that thing was taking up space in my bin, so good riddance. I don’t shower with a sponge, shampoo, or conditioner, and sometimes I have to do without privacy, hot water, or a towel. I use a few drops of a multi-purpose soap for washing, my hands for scrubbing, and wear my swim suit when we take group showers. When there’s only one or two showers or garden hoses for 28 dirty cyclists, you better be quick. I have a new appreciation for gas stations because I can get water, shade, air conditioning, and wash my hands and face in the sink. I love Ziploc bags. Since I’ve been living out of an 18.5 gallon bin and a Camel Bak this summer, with just three sets of clothes and shoes, and some small bags of toiletries, snacks, and bike equipment, I’m probably going to get rid of a lot of my stuff when I get home.

No comments: