Thursday, July 25, 2013

Twin Falls to Mountain Home, ID

I woke up on a high school gymnasium floor after sleeping from 11 to 4:30, but I was in a great mood. I realized that it was my first day of riding after three days off and I was ready. This was the first of thirteen consecutive days of riding – before this, our longest stretch was six days long. We began this thirteen day stretch with 104 miles – a surprise century! I was actually so prepared that I had to wait twenty minutes for the sun to rise, because we don’t ride in the dark. As soon as JD gave us the okay, I hit the road with Rae. Soon after first lunch, I rode to second lunch with Kevin. I fixed a flat at second lunch, and completed the last third of the ride on the Old Oregon Trail Road with Chris and Rachael. In social settings I tend to avoid cliques and would rather float around, so I really like mixing up my riding buddies throughout the day. The part of the Oregon Trail we rode on was a deserted road through a desert, with plateaus in the distance. There wasn’t a whole lot to see except for huge wind turbines.


The team is realizing that we are nearing the end of our trip and we are getting pretty sad about it. When someone says, “We only have 16 days left,” They usually are interrupted by everyone saying, “Shhhhhhh!” Our family meeting tonight was short and sweet, and there were no serious issues to bring up. I loved finishing a century just to get to the host site and find a care package from my mom and a letter from my friend Emily.

No comments: